Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Coloring and inkblending on the same layer, with video

The Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge the theme is : things with wings.

I thought long and hard about it, almost all week as the challenge is about to end, then I thought I would combine the Monday Challenge too, add some texture, but it didn't turn out like that ;-).
I added dimension instead of texture, so some of my other ideas will be recycled into a new idea ;-)

This week we're supposed to showcase Doodlebug design, and I might have some of their sequins, but I'm not sure as I never labeled my sequins, and also some of their bakerstwine, again not sure.
So I omitted them all, and used  fake enamel dots to capture the wonderful enamel dots Doodlebug designs make and I'm sure I do not have lol.



Anyway, for my card I used one stampset: friendship blooms from Simon Says Stamp.

In the video you can see the long version of the process and all the boo boo's I made, I won't bore you with them again. I left them in to show how to fix them and or work with them.

I placed circle dies onto a cardpanel and made three windows.
Traced the windows onto the cardbase and stamped the images.
I used Versafine as I first thought to use pencils, then opted for Spectrum Noir markers, and it works ok, but I should have used another ink. 
I like Versafine for it's rich, dark and crisp stamping, I didn't think things through. Happens...lol
I made masks of the butterflies with Inkadinkadoo maskingpaper, and covered the stamps.
When I cut out the masks I like to cut on the outline line of the image, so the mask is a tiny bit smaller, When you blend ink on top it won't show on the black, but it your mask is a teeny bit bigger it will leave a white border and I do not like those.
Then I used mini blending tools and Distress inks to fill in the circles, starting on the maskingpaper/butterfly.

I used Squeezed lemonade, spiced marmalade and picked raspberry. 
I  matched my markers to the Distress inks as best as possible and as the images are so small I did not bother with any shading except a light grey on the outside to lift the butterlfies off the background. If you have the coordinating dies, you could just plonk them on top ;-)

Stamped the sentiment on the cardpanel, also Versafine and heat set it.
Added loads of foam squares to raise the panel and placed it on top of the cardbase.

You could keep it as a one layer card if you made a mask/stencil from my top panel and used that to apply the Distress inks, so it stays neat.

My enamel dots are homemade, I colored one orange with my markers as I don't seem to have orange ones, weirdly enough, and I placed them on the card with homemade gluedots.

I found another use for my baking sheet lol...before I used release paper from double sided tape, but the gluedots would be exposed and get dusty or cat hair on them, now they're protected.

For more information on the Simon Says Stamp challenge, see this

1 comment:

  1. the colors on this are so bright and vivid! wow! thank you for playing along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

    ReplyDelete